Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Glimpse at Love: 1 John 4:7-12

Another installment of the articles I wrote for the bulletin at Palisades. This is very similar to a previous post, but does contain new thoughts...

I made a book once. Well, it was already a book, a thesaurus actually. It was a large book, until I ripped out some pages and cut out the center of it. It's called an altered book. I took a book already made and altered it. I painted the outside of it gold, got some supplies from Hobby Lobby, and a week later, I had a finished product. It was called, “…” well it didn't have a name, but on the inside cover it asked the question, 'What is love?' I guess you could call it something creative like, "The Love Book", yeah, very creative. It was a gift. I thought it was a great gift myself. I spent a week on it, and the girl who got it also really liked it. But I thought I had really done a good job of defining love through this book. Each page had its own idea or focus with sweet, cheesy quotes and song lyrics, even some stuff I had made up. I meant every word of it, but did I really define what love was? Did I answer the question wholeheartedly knowing what it actually was?  I seriously doubt it; I was 19 when I made this book. I’m sure if I took a poll today and asked everyone to define love in one word, 9 out of 10 answers would be different. I would hear things like; trust, sacrifice, eternal, action, perfection, God, or Jesus. Whereas all of these answers are honest acceptable answers in the context of a random people simply defining love, we as followers of Jesus having experienced the greatest love of all cannot simply confine love into a single word definition other than “God”. You see we as Christians all know that “God is Love.” We sing it in four part harmonies, we read it all over the bible, and sometimes we even talk about it. But do we truly know that God is love? “Oh, yeah Jesus died for us, so He loves us!” or “God sent his Son, so He loves us!” I know our understanding of God’s love goes much deeper than that. But do we actually see it in everything that He does? I believe one of the most obvious times that people begin to forget about God’s love is during a conflict or change, especially when something is taken away. It’s one of the hardest things to cope with when we’ve been used to having something like an ability, freedom, possessions, or a lifestyle taken away from us. “Everything was fine one minute, then chaos the next!” Do we remember God’s love in these times? Do we remember His hand being at work? Do we feel forgotten? When the Renaissance artist Michelangelo began sculpting the famous statue of David, he started with just a block of marble. Then slowly and carefully he began to chip away at all of the pieces he didn’t want. He performed this process of chipping away what he didn’t want for more than 2 years before the perfected masterpiece was complete. When I made my altered book, I took a normal book and ripped out some pages, added new ones, cut holes, and gave it an entirely new look and name. Do you get it yet? When we are facing our seasons of change and conflict we are given an opportunity to become closer to God by catching just a glimpse of his wonderful power as he works in our lives. His love becomes so evident during these times of need, hunger, and thirst. Why? Because he provides. As he chisels away at our imperfections to make us into his perfect being, his grace and love fill the newly created void. Nothing on earth, in the earth, or under the earth has the ability to fill us like God’s love (Romans 8). I wish I could go back and rewrite my “love book” because I’d have so many changes to make and things to add. But I know as far as God’s gift to us, He wouldn’t change a thing. His love has already been made perfect through the blood of his own Son whom he loved. And this beloved son of God still was sacrificed because of God’s perfect love for us.

No comments: